Who should do Lift for Life?
Lift for Life ideal for;
- Adults of any age
- Adults of any fitness level
- People with or at risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- People with or at risk of other chronic conditions
Is there a Pre-Exercise Screening System?
Exercise Professionals are all too aware of the risks involved in prescribing exercise and the need for a consistent standard of professional practice in the fitness industry.
The new Adult Pre-Exercise Screening System (APSS) provides an evidence-based system for identifying and managing health risks for exercise. The new Adult Pre-Exercise Screening System (APSS) was developed in partnership by Fitness Australia, Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA) and Sports Medicine Australia (SMA).
The Adult Pre-Exercise Screening System tool (APSS) was developed in partnership with Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA) and Sports Medicine Australia (SMA). For more about the APSS visit Fitness Australia's APSS web page.
Is Lift for Life safe for my clients?
Lift for Life has been designed by medical, legal and fitness experts engaged by the International Diabetes Institute to ensure the program is not only effective but safe for all parties involved. Some important components which seek to ensure this safety are:
- Limiting accreditation of trainers for the program to Physiotherapists, Exercise Physiologists and experienced Certificate IV Personal Trainers.
- All trainers are required to undertake an additional 21 hour training program covering the special needs of the programs target group in order to be accredited to deliver the program. Trainers accreditations last for a period of 2 years upon which all trainers must undertake a reaccreditation process.
- Involvement of doctor’s in the initial screening of patients entering the program and inclusion of the doctor’s recommendations into the development of the participants program.
- The program encourages the on-going communication of the participant’s progress to the doctor and ensures trainers involve doctor’s in all medical related decisions.
- Unlike many group exercise programs, Lift for Life enables exercise programs to be individually tailored to the needs of each individual.
- This enables the accommodation of the doctor’s advice into the program as well as the diverse needs of older adults, maximising enjoyment and minimising the risk of injury.
- Providers are supported by the specialist team at The International Diabetes Institute to provide advice where appropriate.
Find a service provider
My patients love the support, the goals and the improvements that they see in their health through Lift for Life. It is a wonderful initiative and has given me the confidence to refer people with health issues into a supported and motivational program for them to regain health. A fantastic program.
News More News
Lift for Life Workshop coming to Sydney
A Lift for Life training workshop will be hosted in Sydney - November 2018. Read more
Every cancer patient should be prescribed exercise medicine
Every four minutes someone in Australia is diagnosed with cancer. Only one in ten of those diagnosed will exercise enough during and after their treatment. But every one of those patients would benefit from exercise. Read more